who we are
Our mission is to worship and serve Christ in the heart of Steele Creek. The primary way that we do that is through worship at 10:30 a.m. every Sunday morning. Our worship is mostly traditional, with a blended music, scripture readings, a sermon, and prayers of the people. We observe the sacrament of Communion on the first Sunday of every month.
We offer opportunities to learn more about God through Sunday School classes, small group Bible studies, youth and children’s groups, and other fellowship groups. Our Sunday school classes start at 9:15 a.m. and include all age groups.
We have numerous mission projects, almost all of which are focused here in the heart of Steele Creek. They include monthly food drives, Room in the Inn, Tuesday Night Basketball, Bridgewater Basketball, providing pastoral care to the Steele Creek Division of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department, Alcoholics Anonymous, Overeater’s Anonymous, a preschool, and parenting and tutoring programs through Steele Creek Elementary School. We believe that God has given us some very good news, so we want to share that news with as many people as possible, and especially our many neighbors in Steele Creek.
Worshipping and Serving Christ in the Heart of Steele Creek.
Central Steele Creek Presbyterian Church was founded in 1793, when Associate Reformed Presbyterians, recently arrived from Scotland, formed Steele Creek Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. It was later renamed Blackstock Presbyterian after its first minister, Rev. William Blackstock, and was located on what is now Carowinds Boulevard.
Little Steele Creek Associate Reformed Church was founded in 1809 and was located on what is now Sandy Porter Road. Blackstock and Little Steele Creek merged in 1893, became Central Steele Creek, and moved to its current location to York Road. The members of Central Steele Creek voted in 1911 to join the Mecklenburg Presbytery and became part of the Presbyterian Church (US). They shared a minister with Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church until 1956.
The current Sanctuary was built in 1949, with education wings, a Fellowship Hall, and a Family Life Center added in 1958, 1960, and 2003 respectively. Central has had some splendid ministers in its lifetime, including Dr. Raymond Young (1932-56), Dr. Zane Moore (1967-79), Dr. Joseph McCutchen (1984-95), and Dr James Young (1996-2004). Rev. Luke Maybry was installed as Pastor in 2008.
Central Steele Creek Presbyterian Church has a very storied past of serving God. While we are proud of that past and remember it fondly, we are convinced that our best days lie ahead of us. We are excited to be part of a growing community and invite our new neighbors to worship with us.